Skip Navigation Links
 
Text Size
 
 
DNA TESTING

Today, families who want to identify which mutation caused tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) in their child or other family member can pursue DNA testing of the two known TSC genes. These genes (TSC1 and TSC2) are involved in approximately 70 percent of TSC diagnoses. This means that when we look at the TSC1 and TSC2 genes in persons with a clear diagnosis of TSC, we find a mutation in one gene or the other (not in both) about 70 percent of the time. It is still unclear where the mutation lies in the remaining 30 percent of people tested.

DNA testing is conducted on a blood sample.

Because people can have TSC and not have an identifiable mutation, the DNA test for TSC is not diagnostic, meaning it cannot be used to make the diagnosis in a person with questionable physical findings. However, it can be used to test other family members with questionable symptoms of TSC, or for prenatal diagnosis in persons who have TSC or who are concerned about recurrence due to germline mosaicism. Such testing can be performed only after the mutation has been found in the family member with a definite diagnosis of TSC.

Despite advancing knowledge about TSC mutations, we still cannot predict the severity of physical symptoms in a person with a new diagnosis of TSC. A person can have TSC and have very few or mild symptoms, while a family member with TSC can have more severe or extensive symptoms. It is thought, however, that most people who have a TSC mutation (excluding persons with germline mosaicism) will have some signs or symptoms if examined carefully by a physician familiar with the diagnosis of TSC. The distinction between sporadic TSC and familial (or inherited) TSC is important, as it affects the chance for other people in the family to be affected. Therefore, immediate family members of a person newly diagnosed with TSC should be thoroughly examined.


 
  Skip Navigation Links
Find a Local Branch
Find a Global Alliance
Become a Volunteer
Become a Member
Government Outreach
Connect With Others
Ways to Give
Your Impact
Facebook YouTube Google+ Twitter TSAlliance Support Linkedin Instagram
 
Make a Donation to the Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance
  calendar
 
 
   



Unlock the Cure: The Tipping Point in the Battle Against TSC
Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance Overview
La Esclerosis Tuberosa (Spanish Intro to TSC)
Infantile Spasms & TSC: A Devastating Diagnosis
Questions & Answers About the TS Alliance


ABOUT TSC
What is TSC?
How is TSC Diagnosed?
Signs of TSC
Genetics of TSC

INDIVIDUALS & FAMILIES
Living with TSC
Family Support
Adult Resources

TSC Connect
Brochures & Booklets
Information Sheets
Life Stages Guides & Personal Journals

Perspective Magazine Archives
TSC Clinics

RESEARCHERS
TS Alliance Grants Program
Other TSC Funding Opportunities
TSC Alert Newsletter Archives
Clinical Trials
TSC Natural History Database
Research Resources
International Scientific Advisory Board

Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance Online CommunityTuberous Sclerosis Alliance Support Community